Thursday, October 7, 2010

Mitzvah #242 - Divination

Divination: The practice of discerning the hidden significance of events and foretelling the future. (Britannica Concise Encyclopedia)

Divinations - of both past and future events - is forbidden. Examples of forbidden divinations include:

- "My bread fell out of my hand - so I will not go shopping today"
- "I dropped my walking stick - so I will not travel today"
- "If such-and-such happens, I will do something-or-another"

If one acts based on one's divinations, one has transgressed this Mitzva.

Applies to everybody, everywhere, always

Verse: "Do not practice divination (Vayikra 19:26)

Source: The Chafetz-Chaim's Sefer haMitzvot haKatzar; Prohibition 165

Chodesh Tov and Shabbat Shalom

- Danny
Thursday, 29 Tishrei 5771

No comments:

Post a Comment